Friday, April 10, 2009

Power Supply - Sleeving

Hehehe… As some users buy power supplies (PSU) lower than or equal to 500W, the cables are mostly NOT sleeved. So that is one of my incident too. I am using a 500W PSU from Cooler Master, the Cooler Master eXtreme Power Plus 500W…

I ordered the sleeving materials last Friday, and they said it’ll be delivered on Monday morning. I predicted that it’ll reach on Wednesday, but no. It reached on Tuesday morning!

 

P1011349

Seriously express post.

 

P1011353

Wow?

It is also stated that only Zone A can receive the items next day after delivery. Luckily, my post code is included in the Zone A…

P1011368

Lol!

Alright, cut the crap already. Here’s the stuffs I ordered.

 

P1011386

Molex removal tool, 24pin extension sleeved, black colored sleeving and heat shrinkable tubes.

Before I move on, here is a picture of my power supply before sleeving process.

P1011388

I don’t have any clearer pictures >.<

Today’s project! PSU sleeving! I actually reserved a day all to myself to sleeve the PSU.

P1011395

My PSU, permanent marker pen, Molex removal tool, black sleeving and heat shrinkable tubes, cellophane tape and my tool box.

P1011396

The sleeving process isn’t really hard also. The trick is relax. Label all the wires and it’ll be fine.

When I first sleeve, I chose the one with 3 Molex connectors and 1 FDD power connector, which is actually the hardest of all.

P1011398

Oh… The reason I taped all because there’s some wing on the Molex pins. If you don’t tape it, it’ll pull your sleeving along and ruin everything.

P1011399

After the hard work and also 2 hours of my day, I finally sleeved the 3 Molex and 1 FDD connector cables~ Time to shrink the tubes!

P1011400

I would say shrinking the tubes are the fun part. Just grab a hair dryer, then switch it on the heat and speed to the max and BLOW!!! Beware of the heat! I roasted 2 of my 10 fingers.

After nearly spending my whole day, I finally finished sleeving all SATA power connectors and Molex power connectors.

P1011405

Happy weh!

Well the one I had the MOST problem with is the most annoying 4 pin motherboard power connectors and the 6 pin graphic card power connectors. Oh man it took me 4 hours just to sleeve those.

P1011407

…… Removing the 6 pin motherboard connector. I followed how the online guides show. Poke it like this and use God’s Strength and pull it out.

P1011408

I was going to give up. Looking back, what I’ve done is seriously not some effort to lose. Go on… Fight! Ended up sleeving the 4 pin motherboard power connectors first.

P1011411

Finally I sleeved both 4 pin motherboard power connectors!

P1011412

Second trouble maker… The 6 pin graphic card power connector. Still unsleeved.

Oh damn I finished all these when it was 11pm that night.

When I continued the other day to sleeve the remaining, 6 pin graphic card power connector. I did the same on 4 of the connectors, poking with staple bullets and pull out with God’s Strength. The other 2 pins were hard as hell!

I did it by poking both staple bullets together with the smallest Jeweler’s screwdriver I have with major strength.

P1011432

I finally did it. I removed all.

The side effect wasn’t really bad anyway. I just got a little cut.

P1011430

Should I even post this?

After shrinking all the tubes, I was happy for the results I obtained.

P1011434

Hohoho!! Behold!!!

P1011439

Took me 2 days to complete this.

P1011445

These 3 things had served me well that day. Luckily there wasn’t any defects on the equipments I used.

Here’s also a bonus for my cable management lol~

P1011452 P1011447

Finally its possible for my cable management to look great.

Overall I was really happy about the result and the cut on my thumb was really worth it. Also my second-hand value for my PSU has increased. Lol~

Till next time!!!

No comments: