Saturday, July 18, 2009

SteelSeries 5Hv2 – Review!

Finally. I tested the SteelSeries 5Hv2 out and typing this review now. So now we shall see the package it arrived it. Before that I would like to thank HardwareBistro (forum here) and the members! Actually I never posted here in the blog is that I’m a global moderator there.

new HB logo HardwareBistro’s new logo. Using after the forum host migration.

Putting that aside, it’s time for the review! I got the package and I was like WHOA!! The size was surprising. It’s very big.

 

Image4154 Very big indeed.

Opening the package is a pain in the underbelly. My boss sealed it so hard, that it took me at least 5 minutes to open it up.

 

Image4158

Second layer of boxing.

Well actually I suspect that my boss re-used the box. A true environment saviour. How did I found out? The box has stickers with the word GALAXY on it. Even the logo is the Galaxy graphic cards.

Image4157

Galaxy graphic cards. Not a bad brand.

Then here comes the real thing. The box is actually very big.

Image4163 

Speechless

We’ll leave this beast aside first. Let’s go on to the accessories included.

Image4167

The audio and microphone jack with an extension. All connectors are gold plated and wires wrapped in cotton cloth. I never expected any microphone in this headest

Image4168

 

Official SteelSeries sticker! Professional gaming gear.

For some reason, I am attracted to the color. It is available in black and white but I got the white one. Looks rather attractive.

Image4187

Microphone at the left side of the headset. The microphone’s length is flexible.

I would say wearing this for style is nice, but for weather like here in Malaysia is not pleasant. It makes you sweat a lot.

Image4193

At the top. There’s actually a cushion behind this “SteelSeries” bar.

Here comes the time of the performance!

To be true actually, this headset has a default settings of high treble and near-inaudible bass, typical gaming audio hardware. But the 5Hv2 can boost a lot of bass in, making it an audio headset more than a gaming-only headset.

Well the first part of the test is Call of Duty : World At War.

The audio from this thing is superb! It is a 5.1 headset and I can hear bombs and gunshots from all directions very clearly.

 

nazi

Cutscene from the game, World At War. That bombed part is actually a Nazi sign.

For the second part of the review, I tried something else. I boosted the bass of this headset on my phone, a Sony Ericsson W610i with the Walkman’s famous MegaBass.

P1013018

The phone with the headset.

What can I say, after it was boosted with bass, the audio it produces is magnificent! Very clear and heavy bass with high treble. It is very successful.

But then there was a problem. I told my mom that sometimes we can wear this out to the streets, but she replied that it looks like you’re wearing 2 eggs on your ears.

Maybe I have to agree with that.

Image4205 

Look at this. The picture is my brother

 

04shinji

My brother now resembles this guy, Shinji from Evangelion anime.

For the conclusion, this headset is superb! Design is simple yet nice and attractive. Performance is rather variable with the bass and treble. The connectors are gold plated and wires wrapped in cotton cloth. Before getting anymore happier, this beast comes with a price. It costs RM240 for a new one and RM200 for a used one (Thanks to my friends for the price). If you do have that budget for a gaming/audio headset, the SteelSeries 5Hv2 is recommended. Luckily I got this for free :D

That’s all for now! Have fun and consider getting one SteelSeries 5Hv2 for your own too.

2 comments:

OTT said...

how could i get one of it?!

Kokasaurus said...

HardwareBistro?